June 7, 2022
The Primary Election is an election to determine which candidates will qualify for the General Election for a given party. In Iowa you must be a member of the political party of which you wish to vote for in order to participate. This is known as a "closed primary." The primary election is held on the 1st Tuesday following the 1st Monday in June of each even-numbered year.
18/18 Precincts Counted
Archived Election Details
Candidate Filing Period
- State and Federal Offices:
February 28 to March 18
- County Offices:
March 7 to March 25
Pre-Registration deadline for voter registration closes at 5:00pm Monday, May 23. Persons wishing to participate in this election who register to vote after May 23 will be required to provide proof of identification (i.e. current and valid photo identification card with an expiration date), AND proof of residency in their voting precicnt, when they go to the polls on election day, or when they request an absentee ballot in-person. Other provisions may also apply. Persons not registered to vote by May 23, should expect a longer processing time at the polls on election day.
Absentee Ballots will be available beginning Wednesday, May 18, for mail and in-person voting. Download the absentee ballot request form here.
- The last day an absentee ballot may be mailed to a voter for this election is Monday, May 23.
- In-person absentee voting in the office of the Benton County Auditor closes at 5:00pm on Monday, June 6.
- Requests for absentee ballots must be in writing and should be mailed or delivered to: Benton County Auditor, PO Box 549, 111 E 4th St, Vinton, IA 52349
- More information on Absentee Voting follow the link.
All absentee ballots must be received by 8:00pm on Election Day to be considered on time to be counted.
Extended hours are available for voter registration and absentee voting in the Benton County Auditor's Office. In addition to regular hours of Monday through Friday 8:00am to 4:30pm, extended office hours will be as follows:
- Monday, May 23 - 8am to 5pm
- Friday, June 3 - 8am to 5pm
- Saturday, June 4 - 9am to 5pm
- Monday, June 6 - 8am to 5pm
- Election Day; Polls and Auditor's Office open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Voter ID Requirements
Click Here for examples of acceptable voter identification requirements.